Our hospice goals are simple – comfort and pain management when it’s needed the most
What are the Goals of Hospice Care?
Hospice of New Jersey is focused primarily on comfort and pain management for our patients.
Our Key Objectives:
- Keep patients from unnecessary hospital visits – all too often we see patients nearing the end of their lives unnecessarily traveling to and from the hospital, often via traumatizing ambulance rides. These visits are incredibly disrupting for patients, their caregivers and families and frequently result in negative physical outcomes. Instead, our team of clinicians allows patients to be cared for wherever they call home – providing the comfort and pain management needed to weather any physical disruptions.
- Engage in frank conversations – Like advance directives, we are firm believers in asking the right questions and knowing how to best achieve the goals. Dr. Angelo Volandes’s “The Conversation” summarizes some of the questions to discuss:
- What gives your life meaning and joy?
- What are your biggest fears and concerns?
- What are you looking forward to?
- What goals are most important to you now?
- What trade-offs or sacrifices are you willing to make to achieve those goals?